I’ve been having a hard time being a WAHM (Work-at-Home Mom) lately. If you’re new here, I work from home as a freelancer being a virtual assistant, web designer and basically anything and everything that I am able to do. It’s something I’m proud I get to do while I mother my boys and maintain this mommy blog. Oh, let’s not forget we’re building up our YouTube family vlog channel along side it all. These are the things that I do and I’m happy that I do. But ever since our yaya for Joaquin (my youngest) left, I’ve taken on the job of being a full-time stay-at-home-mom. I try to singit (squeeze in) some online work like transcribing, web designing, blogging and editing vlogs whenever I can, but it’s been hard. Since I’ve been caring for the #SantiagoBros 24/7, our relationship has gotten so close that, well, I almost really have no time to myself. Okay, that’s not entirely true. I still get to bathe, do groceries alone (that’s at least 1.5 of “me time”!), and I get to attend my Victory Group meeting every Friday (this is non-negotiable!). But because I don’t have that much down time aside from their nap times (2 for Wacky, 1 for Jacob with Wacky), I’ve lost that window to do actual work. I try to do them at night when all of them are asleep, but sometimes I am just too tired after a day with them. Though I make sure I turn over whatever work is due, even if it means pulling an all nighter (not pretty when you have to wake up at 7AM).

What have I been doing as a SAHM?

Shower these boys with hugs, kisses and tickles!

Shower these boys with hugs, kisses and tickles!

Be this boy's punching bag. Putting an ice pack on my lip because he's a tad too rough for his age.

Be this boy’s punching bag. Putting an ice pack on my lip because he’s a tad too rough for his age.

Miss Daddy's jiu jitsu competition, but wait patiently at home and receive his medals. <3

Miss Daddy’s jiu jitsu competition, but wait patiently at home and receive his medals. <3

And of course, clean up after them...

And of course, clean up after them…

>.<

>.<

Don’t get me wrong, I love being a full-time SAHM. And I love that my boys are closer to me than ever! Jacob and I get to talk more and actually do our homeschool routine. It’s so fulfilling when he really learns something from me. FROM ME! I am just so proud of us because we’re actually homeschooling and learning amidst the doubters and naysayers. And Joaquin, our relationship is so much more deeper. We’re in tune. Back when he had a yaya, I’d only watch him while he naps or whenever I can since I do my work and whatever I want.

Homeschooling 2016

What our homeschool mornings look like lately.

I just wished that I had time to work so I can bring in extra cash for the family. That extra money, no matter how small, allows us to bring the kids out, get treats, go on a vacation/staycation or simply add to our weekly budget and pay the bills. And…

*Joaquin goes beside my table and pulls my arm to lift him up so he can sit on my lap…* #THESTRUGGLEISVERYREAL

Okay, I’ve placed him on a chair next to me so I can finish this post.

Wacky April 2016

I’m content with being a SAHM and serving my husband and kids 24/7. This is something I dreamed about doing when Oscar and I were still dating. I find great joy in mothering and wife-ing (LOL). But there’s something about being able to pitch in with the expenses and accomplishing something on the side that just puts the cherry on top. You get what I’m saying? So while I’m not able to do much work, I try to pour my remaining time for work on the blog and on our YouTube channel. But you know what? I don’t see what I’m doing as work really. What I do, I’m passionate about them. I love staying up all night editing. I love sitting down and writing my thoughts and sharing it with you guys. Just like what the saying goes, “Do something you love, and you’ll never have to work a single day in your life.”

You might be wondering, why am I struggling? Isn’t that what a WAHM is supposed to do? Balance work and life at home? Well, yes. I suppose that is the idea behind being a WAHM. I struggle because my youngest needs constant watching because of his eczema. One minute, he could be playing, the next, he’d be digging into his skin. Oscar and I would talk about how hard it is sometimes, especially when we’re dealing with a flare up or an allergic reaction. We sometimes think it would be easier to parent three kids without eczema, than two with one eczema baby. As much as we would wish and pray that Wacky didn’t have eczema at all, I really believe that God gave us these challenges for a reason. Everything has a reason with Him. I used to question His plan and ask why he gave Wacky this kind of life. But I’ve stopped asking and started praying more. Praying that despite his skin condition and his struggles, He will be by us, helping us get through it all and providing us with patience and strength.

We STILL haven’t talked about our eczema story. Jeez. We really need to get to it. Either here or on the vlog. But when do Oscar and I get quiet time to actually film? Umm, never? Because we need to be in the same room (we co-sleep) with Wacky in case he wakes up at night and scratches like there’s no tomorrow.question His plan and ask why he gave Wacky this kind of life.

*Joaquin whines and asks to be carried…*

*AFTER 5 MINUTES AND PUTTING ON LITTLE BABY BUM ON TV*

Okay, where was I? AH. So yeah, we’re not able to work on the vlog and have a sit-down episode for it because we simply do not have time to do it. He’s tired from his 8-5 job and jiu jitsu training that I’m afraid if we try to film past midnight (after Joaquin’s first night wake-up), he’d be too tired to talk and nothing coherent will come out of our mouths.  We’ll need somebody to watch the kids for us so we’ll be able to do this. Calling the #SantiagoBros’ godparents!

Anyway, the struggle is there. I’m trying not to think about it too much and just be appreciative that I am able to watch my kids grow and that I am hands-on with them. But earlier as I was trying to put Wacky to sleep for his afternoon nap, which didn’t happen by the way, we were just laying down on the bed for TWO FREAKIN’ HOURS. He just wouldn’t sleep, but he was just chilling there and want me next to him. I had some transcribing to do which I was already struggling with, and I couldn’t do it while they’re awake. After laying down with him, I felt that he was warmer than usual. Got the ear thermometer out, and I was right, he’s starting a fever. That explains why he’s extra clingy and want me next to him 24/7. So for now, after I publish this, I’ll focus on helping him get better and turn off the TV (my helping hand to be able to blog/edit/work) and be with them. Because that’s my first “job”.

1. Donna Donor says:

huhuhu….relate much, I only have a son but the amount of kalat at home is equivalent to three kids, waaah!

2. May Palacpac says:

I get you. I recently went back to doing full time online work. Ang hirap Na talaga ngayon, a single-income for regular salaried families is almost impossible. hugs from one wahm to another.

3. Saminu Abass says:

This is great and beautiful. It is not easy to take full time job and manage home. Though, it is sometime challenging sincerely.

4. Kathy Lacuna says:

I really admire what you are trying to do – being a homemaker at the same time trying to bring in some cash to help with the expenses. And really being a work-at-home-mom is the way to go. But you know what? Being a mom and wife is a career in itself, in fact I think it is the most noble career in the world. Kudos to you!

5. April Perez says:

I can just imagine the struggles. But it’s a good thing you work at home, you’re not as stressed as those who goes to the office. I’ve been working from home for 5-6 years now and I love the advantages that it has.

6. I have friends who are in your position and I honestly don’t know how they pull it off. Even with kindergarten time, it still seems so difficult to me. Although it sounds like madness at the moment, you seem to be doing great, so kudos to you 🙂

7. Barely Vegan says:

OMG, the picture of you and your older son smiling, while your baby is crying!!! lol, too funny. I can’t imagine how hard it is hard to juggle it all as a work from home mom, but I’m sure it’s worth it to watch your children grow. 🙂

It’s tough to be a SAHM, your work is never finished at home. There’s always something that needs to be cleaned, etc. And the kids can be too demanding sometimes as well. Still, there are more days of happiness thanks to the kids. They bring so much life into a home.

9. There are really pros and cons on working at home and working in an office. I also work from home now, although I don’t have a family to take care of after my brother (a special person) passed away last year. My income now is nowhere near the earnings I had when I used to work in the corporate world. But I am now more fulfilled and I love being at home in the province! Still, it seems a day get by so fast I feel I have so many things that still need to be accomplished.

After reading your post, I think it’s tiring to be a Stay at Home Mom. It’s great though as you have more time to bond with the kids.

I admire what you are trying to do, but mothering and “wife-ing” is itself a full-time job in itself. As long as you feel you can do both without compromising either one, then go for it. But I guess, the family will still always be the priority.

12. Amanda Love says:

I totally understand and people think that when you’re a stay at home mom you don’t have much work to do. I find that I work more at home than when I worked at an actual job.

13. Joren Umacob says:

Parenthood! I salute you Ma’am for being a fulltime mommy and at the same time as a home worker. Being a parent isn’t easy, a respect for you.

14. Bhushavali says:

I totally understand your struggles of being a work from home. I’m work from home too and the disturbances are much.

15. Fred Erick says:

Kudos to you! I know a lot of mom that is also working at home. I am also a freelancer and I work at home and I know some friends that are like you. You are all admirable!

16. Shub says:

I loved this post – simple, loving and honest… I would like to combine the benefits of SAHM and working Mom…don’t know whether it is possible!

17. Such adorable photos of your boys! They are beautiful and they are the reason you do what you do. It is certainly hard to maintain any sort of career and raise two kids full time. Kudos to you for a job well done!

18. Pete Zafra says:

Balance is never easy to achieve. I admire and respect you for working so hard. It’s good that you’re doing some freelance work. I would recommend maybe you can look into affiliate marketing and sell some products online or allow ad space on your blog if you’re getting a decent amount of traffic.

It’s definitely do-able to work at home and have the time for other things. It’s all about finding the tasks that need more time and the one’s that need less time. That’s definitely great for your kids. We were raised that way as well. Both my parents worked from home. We’re extremely close…all 5 of us have an unbreakable bond.

I wish you the best!

19. Being a mom is such a challenge!! But I believe it’s a reward in itself and I bet you do an amazing job at it 🙂

20. Lot’s of distractions while doing this blogpost, definitely a day in the life os a SAHM. I agree with you though, just do whatever makes you happy, the extra income is just a bonus 🙂

21. Jeypi Kyu says:

the kids looks so cute.. i remember the time my nephew and niece were still young.. they really look so adorable!

22. Rosey says:

We all struggle in one way or another. It’s just with SAHM or WAHM people don’t always seem to see that as valid. I definitely think it’s valid.

23. Beautiful post as I can so relate to it when i was a full time working mom and now stay at home mum.

24. There will always be challenges for working mom. I think its good that you work from home so that you can take care of the children and work at the same time.