Right after attending Sensodyne’s event last month, my good friend and fellow mommy blogger, Glaiza of Moomy Musings, invited me to join her for a sweet experience at Made in Candy Glorietta. I thought we would just watch them make candy or they’ll present us their latest candy products. But no! We made our very own custom candy from scratch!

[su_quote]Made in Candy, handled by The Candylab Philippines Inc., made its debut in the Philippine market back in 2012. Their first store was at the bridge way of the Powerplant Mall aka Rockwell. Made in Candy is Asia’s first independent candy kitchen. The have two branches in the Philippines that have candy kitchens where their candy artisans sculpt contemporary handmade candies that have pictures and messages at the center of each candy.[/su_quote]

Made in Candy Glorietta Store
When we got to Made in Candy’s Glorietta store that is conveniently located right by the food court, we were briefed by Made in Candy’s Marketing Manager, Ms. DJ Guinto with what we’re going to do and what to expect. I was excited to go inside their kitchen after seeing all the candies they can make. That day, we were going to make mixed berries candies with a rainbow at the center of the candy!

You can see that safety comes first! We wore really thick gloves, same material and quality as those sold by Safety Shoes Philippines, because the candy is hot to touch! It’s only when they’re being stretch out and cut to small pieces that they’re okay to be held without one.

They start by boiling sugar. (FYI, all photos taken while we were making candy are from Glaiza’s camera, shot by Ms. DJ.)

Then once they reach a specific temperature, they pour the liquid sugar onto this granite table where the candy men will mix the colors in.

He’ll then cut each colored area.

This is where the lovely Mommies come in! We need to knead the sugar (now turning a bit gel/fondant like) so the colors will be well incorporated into it. Oh did we knead and knead! Glaiza and I took turns because you simply cannot stop kneading and turning the candy, else it will go hard!

So after all the kneading is done, the candy mixture is placed on this pole thing where you’ll stretch it out like dough so that the candy is smooth.

That tan colored table top is actually a warmer. We can put down the candies there so they won’t go hard at room temperature. The downside of this is if you leave it there for a long time, it will go flat under because of the heat from the table. In here we laid out the candies and ready them to follow the pattern that we are doing today. Not only are Made in Candy’s candy men very good at their candies, they’re very artistic too! Something you need when you’re in the business of making custom candies.

Once the colored candies are in place, we start rolling them on the warm table. Making sure that there are no flat sides and that the colors stays in place.

After that, the candy man raised the roll of candy so that the weight of the candy goes down and everything gets stretched. This is how those adorable, cute and yummy candies come from!

Made in Candy Philippines

I cannot believe that I was just rolling these tiny candies a few minutes ago! After this experience, I soooo appreciate every candy that I indulge in, most especially Made in Candy, because of how hard it is to make each piece! Plus, there are so many flavors to choose from, the possibilities are almost endless.

Their kitchen smells soooo good because of all these flavors for the candies.

Their kitchen smells soooo good because of all these flavors for the candies.

I’m so happy I got to make my own candy. Schools can actually take their classes out there for a field trip. This can be arranged with their Marketing Manager as well.

Glaiza and I

The People at Made In Candy Glorietta Store

Thank you so much Made in Candy and Ms. DJ for having us over at your Glorietta store! Mommies, Made in Candy rock candies are perfect for birthday giveaways. You can get your kid’s name on the candy and choose your desired packaging too! Custom candies have a minimum of 4 kilos order per customized design. Prices of retail rock candies are as follows:

35g small jar = 90php

70g medium jar = 150php

135g large jar = 260php

70g foil bag = 100php

Lollipop = 70php

Made in Candy Philippines

Instagram: MadeInCandyPH

Facebook: Made in Candy Philippines

#MadeInCandyPH

1. Gil says:

Looks great!! I want to try this with my kids! 🙂

2. cai says:

I wanna try too! What flavor did you make?

3. jErELLt says:

I have been meaning to buy candies in their Glorietta branch after I watched how they do it for the first time. But the queue is always unbearable. Bigo pa rin ako until now. 😐

4. Mitch Ryan says:

Looks like you had fun. I would never say no if given the chance. I’m just wondering why you were not given aprons and hair nets (whatever its called)? ^_^

5. Ivy says:

I love to try this! Dami ko na puntahan pag uwi ko sa pinas!.

6. sherry says:

wow this definitely looks fun and easy, hehe.. we have these candy too in Malaysia. Sometimes we stopped by the shop for trying the candy, love their variety of choice.

7. Oh wow! That’s a great experience! There’s MIC in Alabanag Town Center. That’s where I always buy. 🙂 I love watching the candy crafters do it . The one in ATC is comparatively smaller than their Glorietta stall though so I don’t think they can accommodate this kind of activity there. You look like you really enjoyed, Roxi! 🙂

8. Anne V says:

Looks like a fun event, I actually have a bit of knowledge in the art of candy making thanks a hours of watching Top Chef Just Desserts, Food Network shows and Jacque Torres in action haha. It’s funny since candy is actually banned in our house, we don’t allow our kids to eat them. We give them healthier options to satisfy their sweet cravings. 🙂

9. Gab says:

It looks like you are having fun making your own candies 🙂 Anyways how many branches does Made in Candy have in Manila? I wish they have branch near SM North Edsa 🙂

10. Louise says:

Wow! You’re very lucky to have experienced this! I have always wanted to ask the staff if I can try it out too whenever I see them create it on my visit. Hehe. Ugh, so jealous of you. 🙂

I love Made in Candy because they have that distinctive taste that I really love and their designs are really cute.

You’re so lucky to experience this. It’s always been a dream of mine to go tour a candy factory and convince the staff to let me help make candy. Hehe.

12. Ivy says:

Are the candies sweet? Will want to have the candies as souvenir for my daughter’s bday.

• Mommy Roxi says:

For me, not too much. Each piece if packed will flavor so you don’t really end up eating a lot. They have an on-going promo right now for customized candies!

They were quite the hit when they were new there at Rockwell. So interesting to watch the candy being made. For me though, the taste is too sweet, not really into candy.

14. Made In Candy is my absolute fave candy brand right now. So cool you learned how to make candy!! 🙂

15. Lee rosales says:

Great experiemce but this will be much fun if i can experience candy making with my kid

16. Enzo says:

The experience is I thought more than what you’ve expected. It was great for sure and if you’re a mom, you’ve just made yourself something fun to do with your kids.

17. Nice experience! Do they still make customized candies with your name spelled in the middle? I want those.

18. hannah gee says:

What a great experience, I have done something similar but with chocolate. It was great to see the process through pictures Thankyou for sharing.

19. Pooja kawatra says:

This must be a different experience making handmade candies and what a fun to relish them too. They are looking beautiful.

20. Ling says:

I have done this once , in Hokkaido with my kids and it was fun! They were mad with me cos I won’t let them eat the candies though, after! 🙂

21. Such a fun experience! I usually watch them make candies and it looks really hard.

That’s a really colorful candy. I guess being able to prepare it makes it even more special.

23. papaleng says:

My wife should try this. Mukhang fun experience ito.

24. Wow, that’s a nice experience! From what I last know, (for Singapore) the maker needs to go for jabs to ensure they are healthy before they can be involved in making candies!

25. I tried once and its quite fun.

26. hannah gee says:

Wow what a great event to be involved with, we did something similar with chocolate. It was great to see the process through the pictures. great post.

27. It’s quite an experience to make your own candy! I can imagine how tiring it must be to knead.