Hi everyone! Sorry for my blogging break. We’ve been terribly busy physically and emotionally because of our newborn! I had a repeat cesarean section two weeks ago because it showed on my 36th week ultrasound that my baby boy is a bit big for his age and my lower uterine segment has thinned below what my OB-GYN was comfortable with that would allow me to do a VBAC. Today was supposed to be my due date! But our little boy, Joaquin, is 3 weeks old now and we’re all just so in love with him! Let me share to you our birth story.

36 Week Ultrasound

At my 36.5 week check up, I had another scan and NST at the Women’s Health Center at St. Luke’s Global City. My scan showed my little boy weighing 7.3lbs and my LUS at 2.7cm. After the procedures, my OB-GYN told me that she can no longer recommend a VBAC because of my results. I was pretty sad about it because I was really looking forward to trying to deliver normally again. But I failed to watch what I eat and my weight gain, thus my big baby. I was scheduled to give birth a week after, a few days before my 38th week. I’ve been writing here about my desire to do a VBAC this time around because my first CS recovery experience was terribly slow. And believe me when I day this, Oscar and I did all the research and it showed that even with my baby’s weight and my LUS measurement, I could still do it. He even suggested we just go to a midwifery so I can try VBAC. I wanted to so bad.

I was depressed the few days after my check up. All the while trying to prepare our home without going into labor. I even talked to Dra. Tantoco over the phone 3 days before my scheduled CS to beg her to let me do trial of labor, but it just can’t be done with her because of the complications it may bring. And I certainly don’t want to make her accountable for anything that may happen just so I can do what I want. In the end, we just found comfort in the fact that our son will be with us soon and safely without any of us being in danger of uterine rupture or cord coil problems (he had one cord coil around his neck).

After I got my scheduled CS date, I reserved a room on St. Luke’s Global City‘s website. I picked a small private as my first choice, second choice was a regular private. None of which were available when I was checking in at admission the night before. More on that later.

Days leading to D-Day was spent cleaning rooms, preparing our hospital bags, worrying if our car would make it since it was getting repaired, playing Diablo III on my husband’s PS3, and spending time with my two boys knowing my time would have to be divided in 3 when Joaquin comes. And thankfully, our car was ready to be used before the weekend rolled around.

I was told to get admitted the night prior to my operation because this is when they would do interviews between me and my doctors (OBGYN, Anesthesiologist & Pedia) before going to theater. We left home around 4:30PM Friday and went to have dinner first at Olive Tree Kitchen and Bar along BHS. We finished dinner at 8PM, bought some Happy Lemon and went to St. Luke’s. Oscar, Jacob and his yaya were all going to stay with me for the night so Oscar didn’t have to battle the EDSA traffic just to drop him off at my in-laws’ place.


Our last family picture with just us three!

We got to St. Luke’s around 8:30 PM and I went straight to Admissions with Jacob and his yaya while Oscar parked the car. Even though I had reserved a room 5 days prior to admission, there were still no available small or regular private rooms for the night. They gave me a Deluxe Private Room instead but priced as a Regular Private Room. It was either this or a 2-Bed Shared Room that comes with their Save Maternity Package, and I know for a fact that recovering after a CS would be even more difficult if we shared a room with a stranger.

The Deluxe Private Room was huge, with many seating areas for family. Jacob’s yaya slept on the LazyBoy while he and his Dad slept on the couch. Compared to the Regular Private Room I had when I got confined back in June, the bathroom of the Deluxe is bigger, and the TV too. Though this room had no view but the other side of the hospital.

Photo 8-22-14, 9 07 58 PM

St. Luke’s Global City Deluxe Private Room

St. Luke's Global City Deluxe Private Room

St. Luke’s Global City Deluxe Private Room

We took the elevator to the 8th floor, their Maternity/OB Unit where my room was at. It was right next to their Birthing Suites. I wish I had taken a peek of the suites! We settled in and my first tests were CBC, Bleeding Time and a urinalysis. The bleeding time test was a first for me. They pricked my forearm with some sort of sterile blade and would time how quick I would stop bleeding from the wound. I almost, almost had to do it twice because for one to pass the test, you should have stopped or at least had little bleeding before 10 minutes are up. I was timed at 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

After the tests, I took a nice long shower using the Microshield 4% wash my nurse told me to use instead of ordinary soap. I took my time showering because I know I will not want to do so in the next 2-3 days post op depending on my recovery. I could barely sleep that night because of my anxieties. My last interview was with the anesthesia department. I specifically asked for my fellow Mommy blogger Patty‘s (of Mrs. C’a Sugarcoated Life) Dad who is an anesthesiologist at St. Luke’s Global. And I also specifically asked for a combined spinal-epidural as pain relief. I wanted to have continuous pain relief post-op via epidural and if they need to top up my anesthesia during operation they can do so easily without having to do another spinal shot. I chose the combined one knowing that it’s difficult to get an epidural in my back, what more single shots of spinal anesthesia.

The only one awake while waiting for doctors.

The only one awake while waiting for doctors.

Read Part 2 HERE.



Roxi is happily married and mom to two boys (#SantiagoBros!). Mommy blogger since 2010, work-at-home Mom as a virtual assistant and web designer at Mommy Mover.

Similar posts


  1. Sigh I wish I gave birth at SLMC! But oh well, I gave birth in a primary hospital in LP because it was owned by the only doctor I ever trusted my life in full. He’s dead, though, how ironic is that?

  2. Patty | MrsC says:

    I also asked my dad to give me a combined spinal-epidural when I gave birth to Little MrC. Congrats again, Roxy! 😀

  3. It’s super nice there at SLMC! I’m glad baby Joaquin and you are both fine and that you are enjoying your new lives with the new baby.

    Can’t wait to see photos of him.

  4. Makes me recall my experience 3 years ago. I was in Asian Hospital naman. It’s now nice that you can reserve rooms online 🙂

  5. Reigne says:

    Sad you were not able to do VBAC. I recently gave birth via CS also and is blessed with an easy healing time. Never had issues. Sana this time around you’ll have an easier post partum.

  6. That’s a really big room you got there. Sorry you weren’t able to do a VBAC but I guess we just do what we’re supposed to do to ensure our safety, right?

  7. Jho Tacorda says:

    Nice room I bet the service is great as well. I was amazed that you can reserve rooms online, sana ganun na lahat ng hospitals.

  8. Sam says:

    I love your St. Luke’s room. Looks like you will be taken care of 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *